Sunday, May 9, 2010

Mother's Day

Mass...breakfast...zoo...LONG nap...dinner

Mother's day was absolute perfection. Before I go into the details, I'll preface it with some opening remarks.

In the day's following up to "the big day" people would ask, "so what are your plans for Mother's day?" I'd say, "Oh, I don't know--we'll probably just be a family as we always are." Some mom's would give me the ole, "deer in the headlights" look and then follow up with this silly question, "You aren't going to have some alone time away from your husband and kid?!" I would awkwardly laugh and then walk away.

I am away from my son and family more than I want to be. I work 40 hours each week. If I am photographing a wedding add 9-10 hours onto that schedule. I also play in two indoor soccer leagues instead of paying for gym membership. Deacon's child care providers see more of him during the week than I do. This means that milestones, snuggle time and funny toddler sayings are missed...and it hurts to know that. The more I have to be with my family, I take it.

I don't know when it became popular to get away from your family on such a beautiful day that celebrates the essence of being a mother. To me, mother's day is more about being a mom. Mother's day is about celebrating the wonderful vocation that God blessed me with as well as celebrate with the people that have helped me become a mom. It makes sense to be surrounded by the love and support that I have--to be around those who make me a better mother everyday.

I was reminded of how beautiful parenthood is, last night at the wedding I photographed. It was the perfect beginning to a day of reflection that followed. I saw how this mother just oozed love for her daughter, and the beautiful person she had become because of the direct influence her mom had on her. I looked at that mother and prayed that I too, can be that for Deacon.

After a long day of shooting, I came home and passed out from exhaustion only to be awakened at a time too obscene for me to say. It was like any other weekend morning. My son came to the gate and shook it while saying, "moooommmmmy.....daaaadddddyyyy.....I wunna watch b-dtv" I have no idea where the b and d came from, but regardless it is the cutest way to say "TV". I slowly walked to his room, picked him up and brought him into our bed. As he fidgeted and tousled around the bed, I let the perfect amount of sun warm face and welcome me into a beautiful day. Doug wrapped his arm around me and simply stated, "Happy Mother's Day" and I was happy.

We slowly untangled ourselves from the blankets that hugged us tight and got ready for Mass. Church was a blur as my mom duties were put into over drive with trying to quiet a toddler, potty train and extinguish mini melt downs, but it was enjoyable to be at our church celebrating the Eucharist with our faith family. After that, we had breakfast with our favorite
"Big Boy" at Frish's with Doug's family.

After a quick jaunt home he headed for the zoo. We got lost in Over-the-Rhine but navigated our way back to the zoo. Apparently the zoo is a hot spot on Mother's day...a memo would have been nice! We parked what seemed to be a different continent and trusted our car with a teen who wore reflective aviator sunglasses. I wanted to call him Goose but knew he would have no idea that I wasn't referencing an animal...so I left the Top Gun quote in my brain for a rainy day!

The zoo was full of families and just as it was fun to look at all the animals it was even more fun to people watch. This is probably not the best habit to have, but it sure is a guilty pleasure of mine. Aside from the comic relief, I do learn a lot from people watching--there have been moments where complete strangers have taught me more about life than I think they could they understand. Whether I spot a fellow mom kissing a boo-boo or a father playing airplane with his kids, I am reminded about the simple pleasures in life and to not take them for granted. Those moments remind me to smile a little longer, a bit brighter and to always be thankful for the life God has blessed me with.

After the zoo, we crawled back to the parking lot and spotted Goose, the parking attendant, sitting on our car's bumper. I giggled. I knew that in mere seconds he would realize that his butt was on OUR car and was wondering what type of sinking feeling he would feel as we approached our car. I don't know why I found that funny--maybe because I have been embarrassed by small things like that before too, maybe I was just glad that I am not the only one who does silly things. The truth is, Goose probably didn't care. He is a 16 year old who gets paid enough to fill his gas tank up--I am sure the motivation to represent his employer isn't on his priority list. But still I pretended that he felt slightly awkward about the situation.

After the zoo we took a LONG nap. Deacon fell asleep in our bed and I tip-toed down stairs to land in my napping spot. Doug covered me up with my fleece blanket and that's all she wrote. I woke up 2 hours later and felt so refreshed! I love naps. I thrive on naps. I wish I could take a nap everyday, but since I can't, I make sure I nap when Deacon naps. Could I have cleaned the house, yes. Could I have edited a photo job, yes. Could I have worked in the yard, yes. But all those things (even cleaning!) come secondary to my nap schedule! I am in big trouble when Deacon out grows naps--I am hoping for a miracle at this point!

The day wrapped up with yummy Mexican food and blue ice cream. Blue ice cream is a must for all kids. life is a little more sweeter when you get to see blue tongue and blue stained teeth smiling so bright and you realize how lucky you are!

I celebrate my "momness" everyday but it was nice having a day dedicated to me! It was a day of almost perfection. The only thing missing was my mom. For the first time in my 26 years of life I have NOT seen her on mother's day. She and my father were in Florida vacationing and seeing her would have made my day absolute perfection. I settled for a phone call and plenty of I Love yous. My own mother taught me how to as good of a mom I can be. My mom emulates love and I am so grateful to have her in my life. She is such a blessing to me. There is a song that reminds me of her. It's called "Love Never Fails" by Brandon Heath.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geVbSntnOd8

My mom has given me and my 7 siblings nothing but pure love--she is a figure of Christ in my life and I think that song sums it up perfectly for me!

Happy day to all mothers, moms-to-be and mother figures--you are what makes the world goes round!

No comments:

Post a Comment